Use a laptop and the Danrue Cassette Converter with the open source Audacity software. Save files as WAV, AIFF, AAC or MP3. The process happens in real time, i.e., a 45-minute cassette takes 45 minutes to convert. Our media conversion equipment can take your physical memories and make them digital. The cassette converter can transfer your cassettes to MP3 or CD. Patrons are encouraged to schedule a 1-1 appointment to learn how to use the software, if needed.
What You'll Need
Use of the Cassette Converter is free. Please bring a CD-R or USB drive to store the digital file upon completion. Once your file is converted, audio editing software is available if you would like to add additional effects.
***You must remain at the library for the entirety of the digitizing process.
Reserve the Cassette Converter during open hours. Please note:
- Patrons are permitted one 2-hour session per day and up to 4-hours if no one is waiting.
- There is a 15-minute grace period before reservations are automatically cancelled.
- Laptops are for use in the lower level only and cannot be checked out.
- The computer shuts off and erases all data saved to it when a session expires.
- Reservations can be made up to 30 days in advance.