The VHS/VHS-C conversion station includes a VCR, and the Vidbox Video Conversion Suite. The software can produce MPEG2 and MP4 digital files or you can burn the file straight to a DVD-R. The process happens in real time, i.e., a 90-minute video takes 90 minutes to convert. Our media conversion equipment can take your physical memories and make them digital. The VHS converter digitizes VHS and VHS-C tapes. Patrons can bring their own camcorder to convert 8mm tapes. Patrons are encouraged to schedule a 1-1 appointment to learn how to use the software, if needed.
What You'll Need
Use of the VHS Converter is free. Please bring a DVD-R or USB drive to store the digital file upon completion. Once your file is converted, audio and video editing software is available if you would like to add additional effects.
***You must remain at the library for the entirety of the digitizing process.
Reserve the VHS Conversion Station during open hours. Please note:
- Patrons are permitted one 2-hour session per day and up to 4-hours if no one is waiting.
- There is a 15-minute grace period before reservations are automatically cancelled.
- Laptops are for use in the lower level only and cannot be checked out.
- The computer shuts off and erases all data saved to it when a session expires.
- Reservations can be made up to 30 days in advance.