The Friends of the Library is a non-profit organization engaged in a variety of activities to raise money for and support the programs and events at Herrick District Library.
The Friends' support activities include:
- Running the Book Nook, a book store on the lower level of the Library that sells books for $2 or less
- Organizing annual book sales at the library
- Contribution to the Robert Sherwood endowed scholarship at Wayne State University, which supports education for local librarians
- Sponsorship of an annual library staff and volunteer appreciation event
Friends Membership includes:
- Quarterly newsletter with exclusive information and updates
- Early entry into Book Sales to pick out the best finds
To join the Friends of the Library, please fill out the membership form, opens a new window.
The Book Nook is a used book shop located on the lower level of the main library. It is operated by volunteers from the Friends of Herrick District Library. Most books are on sale for $2 or less!
Library staff at the Information Desk will accept donated materials for the Book Nook that meet their donation guidelines.
The Friends of HDL are happy to receive the following types of materials:
• CDs (music and audio books)
• Magazines less than 1 year old
The Friends of HDL cannot accept:
• Vinyl records, cassette tapes, or VHS
• Magazines over 1 year old
• Books with highlighting or underlining
• Reader's Digest condensed books
• Donations in poor condition, torn, or dirty
• Donations that smell of mildew, mold, or smoke
• Boxes that smell of mildew, mold, or smoke
For information or to volunteer, contact Book Nook manager Mary Doak.
The Book Nook is open during these hours:
- Mondays: 10 AM - 5 PM
- Tuesdays: 10 AM - 5 PM
- Wednesdays: 10 AM - 5 PM
- Thursdays: 10 AM - 5 PM
- Fridays: 10 AM - 5 PM
- Saturdays: 10 AM - 5 PM
Used Book Sale
The Friends of HDL hold a book sale annually, usually in the summer. Watch here for more details as future sales are planned.