Groundworks’ Prusa i3 MK3S+ 3D printer has a 9.84”x8.3”x8.3” (25x21x21 cm) build volume and can print highly detailed objects at 0.05mm layer heights or quickly print draft models with 0.3mm layers.
Use of the 3D printer is free when patrons use their own 3D printing filament. Groundworks does have a limited supply of PLA filament and costs $2.00 for the first hour of printing and $1.00 for each additional hour. (i.e., a 7-hour print will cost $8.00)
The 3D printer is available on a first come first served basis. All 3D models must finish printing before Groundworks closes for the day unless approved by the Groundworks Coordinator.
What You'll Need
You may design your own 3D model using almost any 3D modeling software (Groundworks’ laptops have Fusion 360) and must be saved in STL, OBJ, AMF, or 3MF file formats. There are also many online 3D model repositories where you can download Creative Commons licensed models.
Groundworks has an open materials policy. This means patrons can buy and use their own filament with our 3D printer. However, the quality of materials can vary from brand to brand. Please consult the Prusa Materials Table to learn more about the different types of filament available, and the brands that have ready-to-print presets in PrusaSlicer for the Prusa i3 MK3S+ 3D printer. Please contact Groundworks with questions.
Groundworks’ 3D printer is available on first come, first served basis. HDL patrons may call to reserve the 3D printer during Groundworks’ open hours up to one day in advance. Please note:
- All 3D models must finish printing before Groundworks closes for the day. Unfinished prints will be stopped unless approved by the Groundworks Coordinator.
- There is a 15-minute grace period before reservations are cancelled.
- Laptops are for use in the lower level only and cannot be checked out. A valid library card is needed to sign in.
- The computer shuts off and erases all data saved to it when a session expires.
- Reservations can be made up to 1 day in advance by calling Groundworks directly.